Re: [BRHSlist] H. Murphy Aur-Chicago

To: "BRHSlist" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] H. Murphy Aur-Chicago
From: "GLEN HAUG" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:26:57 -0800
More than 20 years ago, I had the good fortune to correspond with Clair
Weidenhamer, a CB&Q conductor, who retired before the 1970 merger with almost
50 years of service, much of it in Suburban Service.

After this subject came up, I dug up that correspondence, and here is a quote
from one of his letters, referring to Mr. Murphy:

"He was, in my experience of life, the most humble man I ever met.  On one of
my assignments he rode with me every day, a great man to visit with employee,
very humble and made everybody feel at ease."

The specific suburban train on which Mr. Murphy rode is not mentioned.  Mr
Weidenhamer did indicate that his last assignment to trains 228 (renumbered in
late '68 from 128) and 235 (renumbered from 135) was held by him only about 2
1/2 years.  Based on this information he would not have been on this assignment
until after Mr. Murphy retired.

Glen Haug

To visit your group on the web, go to: