[BRHSlist] Re: Locomotive Plant in La Grange, IL

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Locomotive Plant in La Grange, IL
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:05:34 -0600
Mike,

The locomotive manufacturing plant in La Grange, IL. is Electro-Motive
Division of General Motors Corp. (EMD)  It is still there although a
major portion of the facility has been torn down and the property sold
off. At one time, (prior to  the start of demolition in the late
1990s,) there was over 84 acres under roof. What remains today, is the
Engineering building which is now also the world headquarters for the
division, the fabrication building built in the mid 1950s, the parts
building and the locomotive test and paint building. Locomotive test
and paint building is not currently used. The parts building is only
partly used and not for parts distribution. That now occurs in a leased
facility several miles south. The fab. building was originally used for
manufacturing sheet metal structures including long hoods and cabs. In
the 1990's, as part of a program called "rationalization", the fab.
building was converted to manufacturing of the diesel engine, the main
generator/alternators and the electrical control cabinets. All of these
components are shipped to EMD's other manufacturing facility in London,
Ont. Canada where they are assembled into complete locomotives. London
also manufactures some components including all traction motors. When
business has  been very good or the contract required it, EMD has also
assembled locomotives in Schenectady, NY and Mexico City.

I worked for EMD for 36 years. When I started there in the early
1960's, while in college, EMD manufactured almost all of their own
components except for the heavy steel castings. Shortly after I started
full time in 1966, they outsourced the first job I had there which was
making bolts for axle caps and traction motor interpoles. The
outsourcing continued from then on. Fabrication of hoods and cabs, for
instance, went to Super Steel in Milwaukee, WI. For the second time in
less than 20 years, EMD is again up for sale. Rumors suggest that this
time, it may really happen. An investment company is looking at the
property in both La Grange and London. It sounds as though they want to
make a go at it. Of course, from immediately after WWII to the early
1980's, EMD was the largest manufacturer of locomotives in the world.
Now, GE holds that title. Both companies build locomotives for domestic
and international business.

EMD does have a website. It can be found by going to www.gm.com and
then click on the "divisions" tab. The last time I looked, the website
was not particularly informative, (no historical information, for
instance), but you can access their "company store" and purchase EMD
memorabilia.

Bill Barber

On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 12:38 PM, BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

>   Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:24:56 -0000
>    From: "mikebennidict" <mactach@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: QUESTION
>
> what's the name of the diesel  plant in LaGrange? does it still
> exist and is there a website for it?

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: