Re: [BRHSlist] Licensing trademarks: Q & UP

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Licensing trademarks: Q & UP
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:56:27 -0800 (PST)
The rules for "trademarks" and "copyrights'  differ
greatly and are very technical. Presumably the UP
holds both the copyright and trademark on their logos.
We lawyers call that "belt and suspenders". I am also
sure the BNSF has these tricks up their sleeves. They
just have not decided that it is in their corporate
best interests to follow the UP's lead (and CSX and
others). If they think the PR value, of the present
practice, is out weighed by the bucks to be turned by
selling licenses, STANDBY FOR THE RAM. If you think
the BNSF's lawyers are just a bunch of fun fellows and
nice guys, I invite you to attend a law school, of
your choice, for a few days! And one other thing, if
the UP was not making money, on this program, they
would not be doing it. They don't pay dividends, to
their stockholders, by being stupid.

John

To visit your group on the web, go to: