Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Different Empire Builder question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Different Empire Builder question
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:16:28 -0800
Bcc:
I might as well jump in on this. Back in the very early 1960's, I frequently
took the EB from my home town, Chicago, to Wahpeton ND, 50 miles south of
Fargo.

One Feb on a trip up north, the combined Afternnon Zephyr and EB left
Chicago at 2:30PM. I spent most of the day and evening in the Q Vista Dome,
even though I was assigned to a GN coach. When we arrived in St. Paul, I
failed to go back to my coach.

What a surprise when I saw my entire train, and all my luggage, moving out
of the station, and I was left behind with 3 other cars. I contacted a Q
conductor who asked my why I left my coach - "Because I love the Q vista
domes" Special arrangements were made to drive me to Minneapolis in a
private passenger car belonging to the St. Paul station agent. He was very
nice and personally escorted me to my coach - wanting to make sure I didn't
miss it again!

Ray Bedard

>From: "John Gates" <gates1320@hotmail.com>
>To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Different Empire Builder question
>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:31:52 -0000
>
>The east bound combined Q - GN and/or NP trains would combine and
>split at St Paul. West of St Paul they were seperate trains before
>AMTRAK.
>
>The Q Zephyrs between Mpls & St Paul of the late 60's were only an E
>or two and one or two domes.
>
>John Gates
>Santee, Ca
>- - - - - - - - - - -
>

>--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "wollffee" <wolfee@u...> wrote:
> > I have seen photos of CB&Q E8/9's pulling a combined Empire
> > Builder/North Coast Limited from Chicago to Minneapolis.  Was this
> > only done near the end, when those trains had shrunk in size?  Was
>it
> > only done occaisionally or did it become the regular consist?  In
>the
> > early '50s they were 2 seperate trains weren't they?  Also, did
>CB&Q
> > keep running their own trains to Minneapolis until 1970?

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection!  Prices start
at less than $1 a day average.  https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
by service area.)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511