[BRHSlist] Re:Did they blow up all the 567 turbo motors?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re:Did they blow up all the 567 turbo motors?
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:44:26 -0600
"Wolfee"

The transition from 567-B to 567-C was a major change and probably the
most visible change in terms of engine appearance. All of the 567
engines prior to the "C" model had rectangular hand hole covers down
the side of the crankcase. Internally, the "window" through which you
could see and inspect the power assembly or cylinder was also
rectangular. More importantly, the cooling system for each power
assembly was internal. There was no visible cooling piping within the
air box (the passage between the outer crankcase and the inner
structure through which the air for the power assembly flows).

With the 567-C engine, there was a major crankcase re design primarily
aimed at improving power assembly cooling, a short coming of the "B"
model. With this design, both the outer hand hole covers and the
internal "windows" became round. In addition, a large water manifold
was located along the bottom of the air box with water jumper lines or
pipes connecting through the internal window between the manifold and
the re designed cylinder liners of the power assemblies. This change
greatly improved the water flow through the power assembly and enhanced
cylinder life and performance.

Some RR's, including the Q, modified older engines as they were shopped
to include the external water manifold and the new power assembly
cylinder liner. EMD even prepared a "Modernization Recommendation" with
instructions and a required material list for this upgrade. These
modified engines were designated either 567-AC or 567-BC models
depending on which older engine model was used as a starting point.
Besides improving  performance of the older engine models, it also
allowed the RRs to reduce power assembly inventory. The conversion was
applicable to any cylinder arrangement from six to 16. Except for the
6000 h.p. 4 cycle "H" engine, the round hand hole design was continued
on through all subsequent 2 cycle engine models.

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511