[BRHSlist] Re:Did they blow up all the 567 turbo motors?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re:Did they blow up all the 567 turbo motors?
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:35:45 -0600
Wolfee,

Over its manufactured existence, the 567 engine (not motors, motors are
the components mounted on the truck assembly that drive the wheels) in
the 16 cylinder configuration went from 1350 h.p. in an FT model
locomotive to 3500 h.p. in a GP35. The 645 model engine that followed
was an upgraded 567 with more cubic inches of cylinder displacement.
The 567 went through a number of upgrades between 1939 and 1964. These
included the 567 (FT), 567-A (FT), 567-B (F2, F3, F7,GP7,SD7), 567-C
(F9,GP9,SD9) and 567-D (GP18, GP20, GP30, GP35, SD18, SD24, SD35).
There were also sub-designations, particularly after the turbocharger
was introduced.  EMD built both turbocharged and naturally aspirated or
Roots blown engines at the same time. The turboed engines were higher
horsepower locomotives while the roots blown engines low h.p.
locomotives.

Each of these changes included a number of engine modifications to
accommodate higher horsepower and higher loads. The addition of the
turbo was no exception. EMD didn't just add a turbo as some hot rodder
might to an automobile. The engine was re designed to accept the turbo
and the higher temperatures and loads that were associated with it.
Longevity in any industrial equipment is always an important selling
factor. EMD had no desire to shorten the operating life of the product.
In fact, over time, the level of maintenance required for the entire
locomotive has decreased. Years ago, maintenance was required at least
monthly (Federal ICC requirement) and some systems needed attention
more frequently. Today, the minimum required maintenance is quarterly
and even that list has become shorter. The time between overhauls has
also increased significantly.

That said, the first turbocharged engines were not without problems. At
one time, EMD had a tough time getting a turbocharged engine past La
Grange from Cicero without a turbo failure!! EMD was just learning
about the idiocycracies of turbos. Their turbo is considerably more
complicated than those found on 4 cycle engines such as Alcos and GEs.
Other related engine problems also occurred, but changes were made and
the locomotives became reliable machines.

I am not certain if Q received the first SD24 model. Only five RRs
purchased the SD24 model new including U.P., Santa Fe, Southern, Q and
Kennecott Copper (1 in 1963). Santa Fe's delivery began in May, 1959
while U.P.'s started delivery in July, 1959. I think Q's may have been
in October, 1959. I am sure someone else on the list can confirm the
correct date. The SD24 sort of marked the beginning of the transition
from four axle locomotives to six axle locomotives for road freight
service. Before that, except for possibly the Fairbanks Morse
Trainmaster, six axle power was used primarily for secondary service,
not mainline high speed trains.
Originally, SD stood for "special duty" usually indicating light axle

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511