[BRHSlist] Research help request--Wahoo NE area

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Research help request--Wahoo NE area
From: zephyrus@rickadee.net
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:43:22 -0800
Hi group,

I have been researching Ashland for eventual use in a layout.  Several
years ago, when I was in Nebraska last, I stopped at the Saunders County
Surveyor's office in Wahoo, and they had/have a nice trackplan of the yard,
probably dating from the 1940's (it shows the coaling tower and businesses
surrounding the yard).

The map is blueprint (white lines on dark blue background) and, though the
clerk helped me photocopy the middle section of the map in pieces, the
photocopies turned out very dark and most of the smaller text is
unreadable.

I have been in contact with the Saunders County Surveyor, Lou Austin,
several times by email and once by phone.  Mr. Austin sounded helpful, and
is willing to scan the map but has not located it in their collection.
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to travel to Nebraska in the near
future, but I think that someone visiting in person might get more positive
results.

The map is not like a surveyor's plat map, but more like a narrow strip
(maybe 20" wide) centered on the railroad.  At this point, I don't remember
if it even has a title block.

I'm asking for help from someone in the area, if they could go up to Wahoo
and ask about the map in person.  It will be instantly recognizable to a
rail enthusiast.  I've uploaded a scan of the photocopy (reduced in size)
to the Files area as "ashland.gif"

Thanks in advance (and I will compensate any expenses--heck, pay for a nice
dinner)

Randy

zephyrus@rickadee.net                            http://www.prototrains.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511