[BRHSlist] How does an F40PH work? Additional Comments

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] How does an F40PH work? Additional Comments
From: amtrak347@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 02:52:55 EST
Since it's late, I'll make my comments short.

1.  Air compressors do NOT have clutches; there are two types - mechanical
(connected directly to the diesel engine crankshaft and thus turn continuously)
and electrical (pump only when needed);  with both types, "air
compressing/loading" is determined by the compressor control switch which has a
high pressure
setting (typically ~140 psi) and a low pressure setting (typically ~130 psi);
these two pressures happen to be the main reservoir hi/lo figures.

2.  HEP for both Amtrak & Metra is 480 volts AC (three phase).

3.  The MPI Metra units do NOT have an auxiliary power plant (Cat, Detroit,
or Cummins).  I'll have to see if I can find an "operators manual" (if such a
thing exists) for these overweight (298,000 lbs) beasts from one of the guys on
the dinkies to learn more about their HEP system.  EMD designed 3600 HP V-16
diesel engine built in Poland, imported by GE into this country and shipped to
Boise, ID (MPI) for assembly into the locomotive.  Still noisy in the cab,
slow to load and can't believe they forgot to put number board (or its
illumination) on the front of the locomotive!

Bob

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511