[BRHSlist] RE: Question for RR freight modelers...

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] RE: Question for RR freight modelers...
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:34:15 -0600
Jan
I should have clarified I have a number of older freight cars that still
have the old pot-metal cast sprung trucks, ie Walthers etc., and I have
almost none of the metal Kadee trucks. The old trucks do not roll well. That
is why the stock pile of Accurail trucks and the now judicious use of the
tool. I have found the tool does a great job of cleaning and properly
shaping the journal holes on the pot-metal trucks, also on brass waycars!
Getting the proper shape is very important to free rolling trucks.

As to oiling the axle tips, I tried that briefly, but the oil accumulates
the gunk that causes the wheels to slow. Ken's tip on a pencil is perfect,
or use Kadee's Greaseum. While designed for couplers, it is graphite power
and would work equally well on axle points.

As to plastic axles, the following varies with manufacture but: I have found
some wobble due to axles being bent, wheels not pressed on squarely, and the
tips themselves have ridges or flash which must be cleaned or smoothed. And
the plastic axles can be broken, don't think you need to ask how I know.

With 500 cars on the layout smooth rolling trucks are a must. But cost is
also a concern, hence the lack of Kadees. Recently manufactures have been
producing a good number of freight cars with well detailed plastic (Delrin)
freight trucks (and thanks to Marshall for listing some of them). Combined
with the all metal InterMountain wheelsets I get good looks, superior
rollability, and few derailments. And did I mention that because the metal
wheelsets do not accumulate (and spread) gunk I have not had to clean track
as in the past.

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
www.iowatelecom.net/~dharding/