Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Question for RR freight modelers...

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Question for RR freight modelers...
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:41:04 -0600
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:16:55 -0600, Douglas Harding wrote

<snip>
> Those seeking the most
> prototypically correct looking models op for cast one piece trucks.
> The "Prototype Police" and Rivet Counters" on the two above lists
> (most are the same folks) especially like Accurail's "Bettendorf"
> and Andrews truck frames as being the most accurate renditions in HO
> scale.
>
> Jeff Wilson in the latest issue of MR has a good basic article on Freight
> Trucks, including currently available models. For even more info the
> Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol 4 had an extensive article by
> Richard Hendrickson.
>
> I have some sprung trucks on my models, but find many do not roll as
> well, the equalization does not work because the springs are too
> strong, and you can see thru the spring area. Some are just plain
> lousy for rolling characteristics as well. Others just do not look
> good. I have been stockpiling Accurail truck frames for those older
> models that have lousy trucks. I also replace almost all wheelsets
> with InterMountain metal wheelsets. Haven't gone to the .088 width
> as InterMountain does not sell them in the 100 count bulk paks.

> While I appreciate prototype fidelity in modeling, I also have a
> layout on which we operate, and performance is equally importance to
> appearance. IM metal axle points in the slippery plastic truck
> frames gives superior rolling performance and with a little
> weathering still look good.

I concur with the comments regarding IM wheels versus Kadees or P2K . . . an
additional advantage is their weight, which helps balance over rough
trackwork or complex switch/crossing assemblies . . . the Tool is also
invaluable.

In addition to the above truck recommendations, I'll also point out to Q
modelers the P2K "National B" trucks, both for auto cars and for the two-
sheet Galesburg-built hoppers (HT-5?) - the latter is easily simulated by
scribing and "pricking" rivets with a sewing needle . . . use the Athearn
outside-ribbed 34' twin hopper for a basis - the P2K trucks finish it up.

Also of note are the Eastern Car Works variety of trucks, including Allied
Full Cushions (the "Pullman Troop Sleeper" trucks used on most Q express box
cars) also the Taylor trucks, used on much Reading equipment around WW
II . . . The problem with the Eastern trucks is that they are molded in
styrene & wear quickly.  If you have access to end-mill cutters, you may used
an appropriately sized cutter as you would The Tool, to make a socket in the
sideframe which will accept Tichy's nylon bearing inserts . . . problem
solved, and you have a lot of sideframes (freight and passenger) available at
low cost.

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511