Re: [BRHSlist] Station Signs

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Station Signs
From: "Haydens" <kliner@socket.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:44:19 -0600
Dave Lotz has an old book of Burlington Route standard signs in the archives
which I donated a few years ago.  As I recall, the letters were shown to be
10 inches tall.  Am I correct on that recollection, Dave?  The letters were
painted right over the battens in many cases.  I have several pictures of
depots that show the absence of battens in this rectangular area which leads
me to believe that an actual sign hung on each end at some time in the past.
When the practice was changed I have no clue.  It also seems that the larger
town depots had signs whereas the little country depots were just letters
painted on the structure.  This is a neat subject since depots are one of my
favorite items to study.  I'm sure I  feel this way as a large result of Bob
Brown turning me on to those critters in the early 70's when I had the
pleasure to work with him at West Quincy, Mo. where he was the agent.  Our
society has suffered a huge loss in the passing of my friend, Bob "Brownie"
Brown.  Bob's vast collection of depot pictures was acquired one contact at
a time over many years with several of us finding and sharing scores of
prints with him.  Rest in peace, Good friend Bob, your shift is over and
your job was done well.   Archie