Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1842

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1842
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:21:18 -0500
I don't know about Australian locomotives, but many locomotives outside
the United States include built in hot plates. I rode with some South
African Railway crews in the "60s and the first thing they did when
they boarded their locomotive was start brewing tea. They carried grips
that were quite a bit larger than those used by U.S. crews. Had all
kinds of food with them and always had enough to share!.

I have ridden with several crews in the U.S. that have stopped along
the way for for food, usually when traffic was delayed and always with
the knowledge of the dispatcher. The "local" Q crew that used to switch
Downers Grove, frequently tied their locomotive up on a siding in the
Lord Lumber coal yard or in the south yard area between Main Street and
Forest Ave. and go to "beans". Many years ago (early '50s and before)
it was a steam locomotive. Later, it was usually a 9200 series switcher.

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511