Re: [BRHSlist] F3 Passenger Units

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] F3 Passenger Units
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:23:40 +1200
Bulletin #4 contains a history of all the F units, and states that the F-3's
were bumped from the California Zephyr by E-units in the early 1950's.

It shows that the passenger F-3's had their steam generators removed and
were regeared for freight service in 1955, and were "eventually repainted in
the freight scheme".  No specific date is given.

There is an explanation for the purchase of the F-3's as opposed to E-units
for passenger service on the CZ on pages 187-8 of the latest Bulletin. It
also contains photos of the new F-3's on the Exposition Flyer between their
delivery in about October 1947 and the start of the CZ in March 1949.

Rupert