[BRHSlist] re: Dubuque toy mfg/40' hi cubes

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] re: Dubuque toy mfg/40' hi cubes
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:05:43 -0500
Bcc:
Only toy or recreation related industries I recall in Dbq were Brunswick
(served by CGW on far north end of town), Eska (trolling motors sold to both
Sears & Wards under their brand names, etc & not on rail unless in earlier
yrs @ different location)) and Ertl (farm tractor and implement replicas)
which relocated to Dyerville and also not on rail.   Only thing related to
Skogmo I can think of was a whse for Western Auto but that was served by
Milw on south side adjacent to the I.C.  The Q had the Dubuque Boat & Boiler
works (S side of frt house) and Dubuque Star Brewery on end of long curving
spur that made nearly a full circle coming off the bridge on IC trackage
rights.
Track just removed this past fall for development except a few feet next to
the brewery which closed a couple yrs ago.  That said, the whalebelly
hoppers came out to Industrial Park on CGW trackage to Flynn Ready-mix and
the hi cubes would be out there on team tracks.
Getting back to the beer, much was said over the years of the Milwaukee's
"beer line" in its namesake city serving Pabst, Blatz & Schlitz.  Q on the
LaCrosse Div served Dubuque Star, Potosi (Potosi, WI), Heileman (LaCrosse -
BN still does but is now City Beer) and Fountain City (Fountain City, WI) so
beer reefers and box bars of hops, bottles, barrels, etc would have been
common in the good 'ol days!  (part of Peerless i.e. LaCrosse Brewing, was
also on Q - the brand ended up with Potosi which  once was a regional and a
major shipper on the Q.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511