[BRHSlist] More about steel water tanks and water cranes

To: BRHSlist <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] More about steel water tanks and water cranes
From: Rob Adams <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:01:45 -0500
The structure painting Data Sheet in the latest Zephyr includes some
interesting information.  Some of it is directly applicable to questions
I posted to the list previously.  I am very grateful to whomever made
that material available for publication.

RE:  Steel Water Cranes
The paint color matrix inside mentions that water cranes were painted
"steel car black" as of the 4-20-36 revision.  I was under the
impression that water cranes had been mineral red at some point before
they started donning aluminum paint.

Might one of you know the chronology of these changes?  Did they indeed
wear mineral red paint at some point (either earlier or later)?  It
would appear that a modeler of the 1930's (and that would include me)
should be painting them black.

RE: Paint schemes for Steel Water Tanks/standpipes
Drawing 60250-B in the data sheet details the application of a two-color
Burlington Route herald to steel water tanks but is accompanied by a
caption that states "May not have been approved".

I am pleased to report that it not only must have been approved, but was
definitely put to use.   I recently purchased a group of very old
negatives which included views of at least 13 different CB&Q water
tanks, all photographed circa 1930. At least nine of these show a BR
herald on a steel tank or standpipe. All are presumably taken on Lines
East, some certainly on the Hannibal Division.

I would very much like to see a copy of drawing 60250-A, which
apparently details a larger sign.

RE: Locations of Water Tanks/standpipes
Are any of you interested in collaborating on a project to document the
locations and types of water facilities on the Burlington Route?

My ideal goal would be to collect, assemble and diseminate the following
information:

LOCATION (city/town, state, CB&Q Division, milepost, orientation to
tracks)
TYPE (both the tank and supporting frame), examples might include steel
standpipe (i.e. a steel cylinder set on a concrete pad), steel
tank/steel frame, wood tank/wood frame, wood tank/steel frame, water
treatment facility, etc.
DESIGN FEATURES/CHARACTERISTICS (Type of tank roof, peaked vs umbrella
vs flat, Type of bottom and base, etc)
CAPACITY (gallons)
CONSTRUCTION DATE
STATUS: Extant OR Date(year?) dismantled

Gravy...
DIMENSIONS (I don't know if there are any official RR sources for this
info, but ICC valuation reports could provide a start, at least for
early structures)
EXISTING PHOTO SOURCES (including the photo if possible)
TYPE/NUMBER/ARRANGEMENT OF WATER CRANES (if applicable)

Any takers/helpers?

As a modeler, I'd think this same sort of thing would also be useful for
fueling/sanding facilities.

I welcome your ideas/thoughts.

Best regards, Rob Adams

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511