[BRHSlist] Shipping grain by boxcars

To: "BRHS List" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Shipping grain by boxcars
From: "Robert Sorensen" <rksmes@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:44:49 -0500
I worked for a malting company in Minneapolis in 1964/65.  Up until that time,
all grain coming in from the country elevators was shipped in boxcars.  In
1965, we had to lengthen our track-scale tracks to 55 feet to accomodate the
PS-2 hoppers that were just starting to come in from the country elevators.
Barley came from North Dakota and stopped at the large yard at Dilworth,
Minnesota on the NP.  There, samples were taken and trucked to the Minneapolis
Grain Exchange for the grain buyers to see and for the company lab to test.
When a car was purchased, it was then sent to Minneapolis for unloading,
cleaning and grading.  If a car was found to be "plugged" with dust or chaff,
it could be rejected if opened in Minneapolis.  If it was sent on to some other
user, it could not be rejected.  This meant that all of the malting companies
received barley at an elevator in Minneapolis.  The company I worked for also
had malting operations in Milwaukee and Manitowic, Wisconsin.  After the barley
was cleaned and graded in Minneapolis, it was shipped to the other operations
in covered hoppers.  All malted barley was shipped out to users in covered
hoppers.  I think that wheat and oats were handled in the same manor.  General
Mills still has an elevator in Minneapolis that handles all of the oats used to
make their different oat cereals.  In the 60's, Great Northern's Union Yard in
southeast Minneapolis had hundreds of boxcars of grain.  Today it is much
smaller and the University of Minnesota is expanding into what was railyards of
the CGW, GN and CNW.  (Dilworth, MN, is just east of Fargo, ND, and Moorhead,
MN)
Bob Sorensen

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511