Re: [BRHSlist] re: shipping in barrels/sacks

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: shipping in barrels/sacks
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:51:05 -0500
John,

Bolts and spikes also came in wood slatted boxes for a while.
AFIK anchors still in bags.  These methods are disappearing as
they gradually shift to smaller plastic containers with carrying
handles.  Target weight is about 10 to 12 pounds.

Basic idea is that there was no "safe" way anyone could get a
90 lb. keg, be it steel or wooden, of bolts or spikes into or out
of a truck bed and not risk injury.

I agree 100% with the philosophy that "If you can not do a job
function safely, then do not do it at all". There is not a single
thing a Railroads provides society that is worth one Employee
getting injured.

Switchman was run over in California last week and was killed.
No witnesses and no indication of what really caused it.  It's
frustrating for everyone to know that something went wrong but
not HOW it went wrong. What do you do to prevent it?

Last year a Switchman at Tennessee Yard was killed. Was trying
to make a joint in the middle of a track with about 90 cars in it.
Last the Engineer was told was that the knuckles had bypassed.
There was not a single hand brake tied on the track. They only
found him because he had taken an ATV down to where this move
needed to be made. Other Switchman was still in office, Guy that
was killed told him; "I'll get this done by myself".  This was easy
to analyze; don't know the details of the California incident but did
hear they were going to ask for a police collaboration to try and
reconstruct the incident.

Russ