Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1811

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1811
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:24:33 -0500
Russ,

Were these order numbers applied to the locomotive somewhere like EMD
does? I know the locomotives carried "builder numbers" on the builder's
plate, but that only identifies the individual locomotive within an
order, or in Baldwin's case, their entire production from day one.  If
the order numbers were not applied to the locomotive, what archive
would Baldwin have recorded the orders in? I know locomotives such as
the later O-5s, carried West Burlington builders numbers, but I don't
know if they also included an order number. For work done in the
company shops, (rebuild or construction), there may have only been an
AFE number with no real need for an order number since it would have
been an internal transaction.

For an order from Baldwin, or any other equipment manufacturer for that
matter, a Q  AFE would have been issued, but would have meant little to
the builder. The AFE would probably not leave the Q, but would
authorize the Purchasing Dept. to issue a purchase order to the
manufacturer for the equipment.  Based on receipt of a valid purchase
order, the manufacturer would issue an internal order number (of which
you are interested) to track the details of transaction as it
progresses through the manufacturing process.

At EMD, we actually issued an order number (or inquiry number that
could become an order number) whenever we received the very first
inquiry from a customer concerning new equipment. All details were
maintained in a file under the inquiry/order number. When the
transaction became firm (receipt of a complete and valid P.O.) the
inquiry number became the order number. Some inquiry numbers never
became order numbers because the transaction was never completed. On
EMD locomotives, the order number and the car number (unit build
sequence within the order) were stamped on the side sill at the front
corner of the locomotive. In the early days, the order number was four
digits followed by a dash and the car number (1,2,3 etc.). Later, the
order numbers went to five and later six digits as we added more
information to the order numbers. The EMD order numbers indicated
whether the locomotive was new or included remanufactured equipment,
later numbers indicated year built, a "C" preceding number indication
Canadian manufacture at one time, etc. EMD changed their order number
system at least twice during the 36 years that I worked for them.

I would like to assist in your quest because I think it is an
interesting topic, but I need to know where to look.

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM