[BRHSlist] Re: Challenger vs. Shoreham Shops

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Challenger vs. Shoreham Shops
From: "karllmoore" <karllmoore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:43:52 -0000
The latest CZ version that Challenger did was/is a very good set.
You are correct that the older Challenger/Oriental version compared
to the more recent offerings is not as correct and the dome obs left
a little to be desired, but it was made back in the early 90's and at
todays prices not too bad of a deal.  That is considering that there
is no real alternative in plastic without some cutting and many have
done this with decent results.  The other alternative is the higher
priced more recent versions by Challenger and Shoreham that are both
very good.  The biggest differences are the versions modeled.
Challenger opted to produce the "as delivered" version with full
diaphragms and windshield wipers.  Shoreham produced a later version
that had just the regular diaphragms and no wipers.  Both versions
were produced in factory finished styles with lettering, glazing and
dome interiors, but no other interiors.  Shoreham also provided
unfinished cars for those that wanted them and provided extra
glazing, dome interiors, and decals to complete any car.  So,
depending on your time frame and if you intend to model an "as
delivered" CZ or any later CZ, the choice is yours.

Now, the biggest difference (outside of the version modeled) between
the Challenger CZ and the Shoreham CZ is the dome obs.  Challenger
blew it on the tail of the dome obs.  Their slope on the top at the
tail where the rear mars light sits is too high and does not slope
accurately.  Not too noticeable, but side by side with the Shoreham
obs and compared to prototype pictures, it's off.  So in this
respect, I'd give the accuracy nod to Shoreham even though they
didn't quite get the mars light correct themselves.  I do have
pictures of some of the Shoreham cars if you are interested.  Either
way, either set would be a nice replication of a beautiful train.

Karl

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM