[BRHSlist] graphite

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] graphite
From: okt@juno.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:27:03 -0500
Marshal,
That's why I like using the graphite and gray it keeps a metallic sheen
(though I suspect not as much as I think you mean- since I'm only going
from photos). I'm going to try the Scalecoat later on some scrap just to
see how it dries. I'll let you know (might even scan it).
Terry

> I like the look of the Floquil mixed with white until it's gray.
> I can send you some jpgs or you can look at the MKT and Frisco N
> Mikes I did in that are in the photo files on the N steam list that
> were done with this method. The two locos took 1st and 2nd in the
> OKC train show contest the year they were entered. Also, I found
> some "Oil and Graphite" from Scalecoat, haven't tried it yet though.
> Terry

This is an eyewitness of working Q steam speaking:  Unless the locomotive
in
question was very dirty and sooty (which was rare on the Q - especially
for
first-line power like the S-4s - , the "Sta-Brite" graphite compound used
on
smokebox and firebox had a definite metallic sheen.  Grey alone doesn't
do it.
On the other hand, a couple of the "graphite" pints I've seen have a
noticeable bluish cast.  This does NOT look right to me -  Sta-brite was
neutral as to color.

On the other hand, I worked in one art field or another for almost 30
years
before retirement, and I know from experience that color is extremely
subjective.  I know what it looked like to me - but if it looked
different to
you, you're right.

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA