Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Q GP7/9s in Passenger service

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Q GP7/9s in Passenger service
From: amtrak347@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:00:37 EDT
vlbg@earthlink.net writes:

> Unlike some other
> roads CB&Q only used one model and one capacity in all
> units. In most, if not all, "E" units they were doubled up.

Russ & listers -

I can positively verify there was another, older model of the Vapor Clarkson
Steam Generator on the E units and they were usually found on the E-7s and
some early E-8s.  Can't recall the model number, but it was distinctively
different looking in that it looked like a boiler off an "A" class 4-4-0.  The
reason
I know this, I was the recipient of a royal ass-eating for not knowing
anything about this type of steam generator (step in here KLR if you're reading
this).  The Xmas season of 1969 I was "forced" to the Aurora Division's
fireman's
passenger swing turn headquartered in Galesburg.  The "swing turn" covered all
the regular firemen's rest days on the passenger jobs between Galesburg and
Chicago.  On a cold December 23, 1969, my assignment was #2 with engines 9969,
9941B, 9943B and 13 cars with Engineer Hugh Smith.  As we approached Western
Ave. we received the communicating signal from the flagman to shut down the
steam heat in order to blow out and drain the steam lines from the rear of the
train prior to arrival at CUS.  There was a button on the fireman's dashboard
that electro/pneumatically closed the valve from the steam generator to the
steam line.  As I'm sure you all know, that E units only had cab heat when
there
was a "boiler" working some where in the consist and steam was being admitted
to the steam line.  Normal (cold weather) procedure upon arrival at CUS was for
the fireman to climb off the units, walk back to the rear unit of the consist
and "lift the ball" on the steam line (always the fireman's side of the unit,
front or rear) and then go back to the working boiler.  The exact procedure
for the moment, eludes me, but basically the steam generator "operation" switch
was put in a "stand-by" mode (lower steam pressure), and through a manually
operated, "T" handled valve, steam was re-admitted to the steam line and cab
heat was re-established.  Not too complicated, IF the fireman is familiar with
the operation of this particular type of steam generator (as I recall, the
model designation started out CFK......; enlighten me, listers!).  My dearly
departed Road Foreman of Engines, Harry J. Klaus, instructed me to get
qualified
for passenger service (as a fireman) by 1.) becoming qualified on CUS property
[signals & rules] and 2.) learn the operation of steam generators by contacting
the Aurora RH Foreman and have him instruct me (note the lack of involvement
on the part of my direct supervisor, a hallmark of his tenure as RFofE at
Aurora).  No problem with the CUS requirement, but due the late time element
(Fall
of 1969) the only engines at the Aurora RH were E-8s and E-9s with the later
model Vapor Clarkson steam generators Russ has mentioned.  I wasn't even aware
of there being a different type/model of steam generator installed on other
engines.  If I had known (like being told by my supervisor, get down to the
Zephyr Pit in Chicago where the E-7s and older E-8s with the older style boiler
were) of the two different models, sure would have helped.  Needless to say,
when I arrived in the boiler room of the 9969, I was startled; nothing looked
the same as the units I was instructed on, save for the "T" handled steam
valve.
 Old Hugh wasn't too happy with me as we proceeded to freeze our fannies off
while the Coach Yard job removed all the cars except the mail/baggage car.
About an hour later the Coach Yard job removed the bag car and then we were
able
to back out to the Zephyr Pit where I immediately sought out the RH Foreman
for some "enlightenment" about the older style of steam generators.  While we
were in CUS I had asked Smith if he could give me a hand with the old fashioned
boiler and I received a response that he hadn't been back in an engine room
in 20 years!  Somehow I got the feeling if we had an O-5 or an S-4 that trip,
he would have known more about "steam heat".  As I recall, I did go back in the
other two units in hopes of finding a familiar generator but found that they,
too, had the same type of old fashioned steam generators.  Later that day, I
went back to Galesburg on train #1 with the same engine consist, this time
with the 43B leading, Old Smitty, 15 cars and a more "knowledgeable" fireman.
Boy, I can't believe I was just going to make a "short" comment!

Bob Campbell

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM