Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Stingy or not Stingy?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Stingy or not Stingy?
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:48:28 -0600
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:47:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Howell wrote
> I thought an opinion from the younger generation might
>  be in order here.

Thank you, Bryan.  It would be good to understand the CB&Q's attraction for a
modeler born 15 years after it ceased to exist.  If we old f**ts don't
understand your view, we wont be able to ensure that the Q traditions
continue to live after we don't . . . (bear in mind: I was 28 when the
Burlington turned green, and my first train ride was on the Mark Twain Zephyr
at the age of 2 1/2 . . . you'll wind up carrying part of my torch, and I
thank you!)

>  I am 18 years old and about to begin college.  I've
>  only been able to work for 2 summers, so I don't have
>  a lot of spending money.  I would say a good 75% of
>  the money I do get though, I spend on Q items, whether
>  it be models or books and other items on E-bay.  I
>  would love to buy more books and models, but cost
>  plays a big role.  My current quest is trying to
>  obtain "Trail of the Zephyrs," but I keep getting
>  outbid on E-bay and it goes for about $150 in stores.
>  I have splurged on the models and buy P2K.  I usually
>  wait until they come down in price, though.  The
>  Zephyrs were what got me started with the Q in the
>  first place and I would love to have a brass
>  shovelnose, but I can't get that kind of money.

(and Marshall breaks in again . . .)

. . . which is why I think the older of us in the hobby need to pass on more
than our prototype interests to the new generations.  I (together with some
others of us on this list, are Proud Veterans of the Basswood & Cardstock
Brigade . . . How many of us began modeling before the advent of plastic [and
for you younger guys, HO plastic did *not* start with Athearn . . . when
Gordon Varney began selling $1.50 plastic VIRGINIAN hopper cars, Uncle Irv
was still selling lithographed stamped steel box cars!]) came into the hobby
when construction skills and a sense of engineering were requisites.  If we
transfer some of our skills in kitbashing and scratchbuilding to the younger
generations, people like Bryan can have fairly good shovelnose zephyrs for
about $80 and a couple of weeks of effort . . .

>  I  don't like to view myself as stingy because I do the
>  best I can for the money I have.  Once I get out of
>  college and start making a living, I hope to be able
>  to indulge in my hobby and interests more.  I just
>  feel its wrong to criticize others if you know nothing
>  about their personal situations.

And I don't feel people should be criticized for their bankbooks or tastes,
either.  OTOH, I recognize that there are those who can trade money for time,
and others who must trade time for money.  Pick up some of our skills, Bryan
(we'll help) - and instead of your Zephyr model meaning that you can afford
to drop a couple of thousand dollars in Challenger Imports' pockets for three
linear feet of Asian brass - it'll mean that you acquired the knowledge, the
resources and the skills to do it for yourself!

>  There have been some very good points made that I
>  totally agree with.  The bottom line is that people's
>  financial situations are different and there may be a
>  good reason for not being able to buy more things.
>
>  So am I stingy?  No.  To others, it might seem that
>  way.  But I do the best that I can for the dollars I
>  have.

. . . and when I reached the point where I could afford it, I bought brass
and supported the manufacturers.  Now that I've been caught unsuspecting in
the current economic crunch, I lost everything I owne . . . including my
brass and all my books.

But I still have my skills, and I have my friends on the net who can share
the data with me . . .

And at the age of 61, I can start over . . .

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM