[BRHSlist] Re: New Loco

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: New Loco
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:17:04 -0600
Hi Folks:

Bob and Leo, at least, know my views on the "drivability" of any of the wide
cab motors....my personal preference would be an SD-40-2 cab/nose with a
C-30-7 interior layout.  The other day while tying up in Gillette, the
Roadforeman walked through and saw me.  He said "Stay there, I've got
something to show you...you're gonna like it."  He comes back with a copy of
a "Confidential Proposal" from EMD for "Improving" the "Ergonomics" of the
wide cabs.  The external things include notching the corners of the nose, so
you can see both the track, and (maybe) the guy on the front step.  You can
see half of Campbell County out of a MAC cab, but you can't see the track
fifty feet in front of the motor...that's how I know when I've reached the
50' "stop back from the switch" distance, when the switch stand disappears,
I'm there :>)  But...the best part of the "Proposal" is when you get to the
pictorial views of the interior.  They're putting all kinds of "office" type
stuff over on the Fireman's side, for the Conductor to do whatever's left
for him to do.  And....Ta Daaaa.....they're going back to the AAR Standard
control stand (with the stupid computer screens instead of real gauges, of
course)....I LOVE IT!  This to "improve" the "ergonomics" that they screwed
up when THEY put that stupid desk control stand in there!  So...to say "I'd
like it" was the understatement of the Century.  Now....all that's left is
to get the Santa Fe to buy them for us....that probably being the hard part,
they've just inflicted 50 "5600" class GE's upon us...they make the MAC's
look good, and to screw up a perfectly good number series really pisses me
off...to see the 5632 or 5629 go by, painted Punkin', is really sad :>)

Best,

Mike Decker