Re: [BRHSlist] Early Zephyrs

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Early Zephyrs
From: SilvrDome@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:44:41 EDT
R.W.

As I recall, and anyone please feel free to fill in the missing blanks.  Alex
Barkett who was the head of The Civic Plaza National Bank in Kansas City
bought one of the original "Denver Zephyrs" (later the Texas Zephyr) in the
early
seventies.  He kept it at Kansas City Union Station where I had the chance to
watch the refurbishment and subsequent fan trips he operated on the Kansas
City Terminal Railway.  Later he purchased on of the "Nebraska Zephyrs" (Train
of
the Gods ?) I remember Vulcan in the consist.

Then he managed to pick up about half the consist of the second "Denver
Zephyr" which he proceeded to refurbish.  About that time he secured the "Mark
Twain Zephyr and it sat in Kansas City near Swope Park for a number of  years
along with Silver Castle and Silver River (both Vista Dome Coaches) along with
Silver Garden , and one of the C&O Chessie Cabin Dome Sleepers and a wrecked
ex-GN Dome Coach.

After selling the Zephyrs to Saudia Arabia (both DZ's and the NZ) he passed
away suddenly a couple of years later.  His widow sold at auction the two CB&Q
Vista Domes along with Silver Garden (ex KCZ) and an ex-C&O Cabin Dome sleeper
for the mere price of $10,000.  That's total for all cars along with a
wrecked Amtrak (GN) Dome Coach.  What a steal!

The Mark Twain Zephyr was eventually puchased by another buyer, and that is
where I lose track.

I only wish some of the Zephyrs could some how find there way back to the USA
form the mid-east.

Hubert

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM