[BRHSlist] Re: Q MOW Decals

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Q MOW Decals
From: "locopainter215" <locopainter215@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:01:05 -0000
Hi Thom, I would like to see the pictures of the finished sand cars.
Would the Bowser covered hopper work or is it "not even close" to the
CB&Q cars? Thanks, Malcolm Byrd

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "thommack" <mack@c...> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone on the answers to my Q MOW sand car roof color
> question. Glad I didn't have to repaint roofs. I am currently
> working on 3 sand cars and two Athearn Baggage cars now painted in
> MOW orange (one has silver roof, one has a black roof - per
pictures
> in Mike Spoor's Color Guide). Paint-wise, I think they look awesome.
>
> Here is the problem I have run into, and I wonder if anyone else
has
> noticed the same. I am using the Microscale decal set for Q Orange
> Waycars and MOW equipment. Artwork was done by Marshall Thayer, so
> know he did his homework. The decal set even has the "Sand Service
> Between Clyde and Wedron" stencil as seen on the sand service car
in
> the Color Guide, along with the Burlington Route herald. The BIG
> problem (no pun intended) is that the decals appear to be TOO BIG.
> am basing this on the fact that I am using the Kato ACF 70-ton
> covered hoppers that seem to fit the Q prototype almost right on
> (Charlie Vlk, are you listening?). But the Burlington Route box
logo
> barely fits within the side panel frame. I thought it might just be
> the logo was too big or too many side panels on the car, but, no,
> the "Sand Service Between Clyde and Wedron" is also too big and the
> car appears to be correct (right Charlie??). It doesn't look real
> bad, and I'm not sure the average layout visitor would notice, but
> the decals appear to be about 10-15% too big. Has anyone else
> noticed a similar issue or have any suggestions?
>
> Second problem: can anyone suggest a decal set for the car data (Lt
> Wt, Cap, Ld Lim)? The Microscale MOW decal set does not include car
> data. I think I saw a decal set from Champ atone time for the
> regular grey painted CB&Q 70-ton ACF covered hoppers, but wasn't
> sure if they were black or would work.
>
> Anyway, I am pretty pleased with the results despite the seeming
> decal problem. Feedback will be much appreciated to help me
complete
> the project. (Will post some pictures when I finish.)
>
> Tom Mack

$50 - $100 gift card with digital cameras & camcorders $299 & up
Now you can have the digital camera or camcorder of your dreams, and a gift
card to put towards a future purchase. Excludes select models.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/bHgiAD/FjRGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM