[BRHSlist] Q MOW Decals

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Q MOW Decals
From: "thommack" <mack@chmack.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:13:00 -0000
Thanks to everyone on the answers to my Q MOW sand car roof color
question. Glad I didn't have to repaint roofs. I am currently
working on 3 sand cars and two Athearn Baggage cars now painted in
MOW orange (one has silver roof, one has a black roof - per pictures
in Mike Spoor's Color Guide). Paint-wise, I think they look awesome.

Here is the problem I have run into, and I wonder if anyone else has
noticed the same. I am using the Microscale decal set for Q Orange
Waycars and MOW equipment. Artwork was done by Marshall Thayer, so I
know he did his homework. The decal set even has the "Sand Service
Between Clyde and Wedron" stencil as seen on the sand service car in
the Color Guide, along with the Burlington Route herald. The BIG
problem (no pun intended) is that the decals appear to be TOO BIG. I
am basing this on the fact that I am using the Kato ACF 70-ton
covered hoppers that seem to fit the Q prototype almost right on
(Charlie Vlk, are you listening?). But the Burlington Route box logo
barely fits within the side panel frame. I thought it might just be
the logo was too big or too many side panels on the car, but, no,
the "Sand Service Between Clyde and Wedron" is also too big and the
car appears to be correct (right Charlie??). It doesn't look real
bad, and I'm not sure the average layout visitor would notice, but
the decals appear to be about 10-15% too big. Has anyone else
noticed a similar issue or have any suggestions?

Second problem: can anyone suggest a decal set for the car data (Lt
Wt, Cap, Ld Lim)? The Microscale MOW decal set does not include car
data. I think I saw a decal set from Champ atone time for the
regular grey painted CB&Q 70-ton ACF covered hoppers, but wasn't
sure if they were black or would work.

Anyway, I am pretty pleased with the results despite the seeming
decal problem. Feedback will be much appreciated to help me complete
the project. (Will post some pictures when I finish.)

Tom Mack

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM