Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Posting of calendar art

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Posting of calendar art
From: railbass@a...
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:21:57 +0000
On the copyright issue of a "fallen flag" logo, I suggest you read the
Mainline Commentary by Robert Hundman in the June 2003 issue of Mainline
Modeler. Bob discusses UP's requirements for logo licensing, which he calls
the "Atilla the Hun school of public relations." UP is being quite
unreasonable in their efforts to defend both UP and other roads which merged
into UP, requiring percentages of gross revenue or the price of a marketed
item. BNSF and other roads are watching UP to see how successful Uncle Pete
is in maintaining their logos.

My suggestion is that someone contact BNSF and tell them exactly what you plan
to do with a 1941 CB&Q calendar, point out that there is no commercial profit
to this plan, and ask for permission to distribute it. Once permission is
given, there would be no risk of defending an effort in court, which would be
far more effort and expense that it's worth.
- John Manion
Denver, CO