Re: [BRHSlist] Posting of calendar art

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Posting of calendar art
From: <metcalf@a...>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:51:47 -0600
A 1941 CBQ calendar is a work-for-hire commissioned by the CBQ. Presumably
the copy right on it won't expire until 2031. Everything first published in
the United States of America prior to 1922 is in the public domain. Some
works subsequent to 1922 have entered the public domain but you'd have to
check with the Copyright Office on a case-by-case basis. The proper course
would be to contact patrick.hiatte@b... and secure written permission
from an authorized person at the BNSF. Under current law you need written
permission from the creator to reproduce anything.
Physical possession and/or ownership of a copy does NOT give you the
right to reproduce copies, even if you don't financially gain from such
distribution.
This is analogous to buying a Stephen King paperback and then publishing
your own edition, whether or not you charge. Giving it away is not a
loophole because you are then depriving the owner of the right to profit
from distributing it to the potential audience.
As for eBay there are numerous violations on there, probably a multitude
of violation each day.
Norm Metcalf, Boulder CO