Re: Whale Belly Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Whale Belly Cars
From: "Doug" <cen7zwu02@s...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 21:19:23 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsauer1957" <jeffsauer1957@y...> wrote:
> Aproximately a year or so ago, a good number of the whalebelly fleet
> were here in Garretson and Sioux Falls, South Dakota - on the BNSF
> Corson sub. There is a private shop called Midwest Rail Repair on
> the line and they have been doing work for a lot of smaller roads
> and also have landed some BNSF, CP, UP, & DM&E work too!
>
> Out of the blue the whalebelly's began showing up. Frankly, I was
> stunned!!! I don't recall who they were being re-stencilled from and
> to, but coming in, their BN markings (in a couple of different BN
> paint schemes) was very apparent.

This afternoon I was able to get close enough to DPCX 308 to see that on one
side it had a small sticker with a picture of a steam locomotive and "PAINTED
BY MIDWEST RAILCAR" (or Rail Repair) on it. I'll know later tonight (maybe) if
my picture of that came out well.
BTW, I'm on the spare board for the company that runs that line for Maine DOT.
It wouldn't look good for me to do Operation Lifesaver presentations for 3rd,
4th, and 5th graders in the morning and then go trespassing that afternoon. 8-)

--
Doug C.