Re: Whale Belly Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Whale Belly Cars
From: "Doug" <cen7zwu02@s...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:48:06 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsauer1957" <jeffsauer1957@y...> wrote:
[snipped]
> If you (or the group) are interested, I can go dig the pix out and
> post 'em.

That would be cool, Jeff. I can post some pics I took recently of some
Pressure-Slides (whalebellies). I think I have found a goodly quantity of
ex-CB&Q LO-9's living in Maine.
Dragon Cement in Thomaston, ME has been shipping cement by barge for some time
now. Safe Handling Rail Inc. hauls the covered hoppers to a rail-to-barge
facility on the waterfront in Rockland in cuts of six cars. There are presently
nine cars also being used to ship cement to Canada.
On the 14th, I shot some pics of the shuttle. I discovered that the DPCX
300-series cars had "BDNX" (Baroid Drilling Fluids) and the car number
stenciled on their trucks. I could also see the shadow of the former BDNX
lettering under the white paint that the cars wear now. I'm pretty sure that
the DPCX 2800-series cars are ex-ERCX (Excel Railcar), same numbers.
While getting some closeup shots of various details on the cars (NOTE: I was
"cleared" to be where I was), I noted that all of them had raised lettering on
their trucks that said "CB&Q TRK 27" (or 27-C). Can anyone tell me what that
means?
The BLT date on the cars I saw was mostly (or all) 1-67, which would pretty
much confirm that they are ex-CB&Q/BN cars.
As Robert Nelson noted, the Seaboard modelers are interested in these cars,
too. Apparently some of the ex-SAL/SCL/SBD cars are now working for CSXT,
hauling oil sludge. I've seen one pic of a CSXT car, 976607, and one of a
Baroid car. The Baroid car, BDNX 301, looks to be painted-out to cover BN
markings. (09/12/93) <http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-b/bdnx301ags.jpg>
I got some pics of ERCX cars in Wiscasset, ME in 1994, and ERCX 2806 looked to
be painted out in pretty much the same way.
I hope we can get some of these in HO, for Burlington guys and Seaboard guys
and even D&H guys. (The D&H had an entire *one* of them. GACX 30000 became D&H
12503. It apparently had an exciting career as a sand storage facility in
Oneonta, NY.)
And I promise not to crank up the "brass-vs.-resin" discussion. 8-)

--
Doug Clark