RE: Brookfield Derailment.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: Brookfield Derailment.
From: "qrailroadman" <karl5631@a...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 02:25:38 -0000
Russ,

Ya got me on that one. I've "heard" of a derailment or two at C Park
and even seen a couple of 'em' How the drawbar on the west end of
that waycar got cracked is a bit strange. Wonder if it left Cicero
in that condition?

Re-railing at a frog worked many times, it just wasn't a sanctioned
operation. If the derailed car was empty there wasn't much damage to
the track. If, however, the car was a load a substantial amount of
damage could be done to the frog and the entire switch.

Also, a rerailed car is supposed to be inspected by a Carman to
assure that the bearings are are not damaged or cocked in the boxes
and that the center plate is in the bowl.

Karl