Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington "Transition" Green

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington "Transition" Green
From: Val Nelson <super-chief-val@c...>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:07:17 -0500
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:34:01 -0500
From: Val Nelson <super-chief-val@c...>
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com

I don't know the specific shade name, but it was definitely a 'brighter'
shade of green than Cascade and not quite as bright as that used by the MKT
(but close). I remember seeing those units on the Union Pacific in
pool-power consists when I was 12 years old in Potter, (Western) Nebraska.
The first time I saw one, it was leading a UP westbound. I saw the green
and white nose as the train approached and said to my Dad (who was
driving), "What the heck is that green thing???". And then as it got
closer to the crossing, I was able to read the small, white-lettered
"Burlington" under the cab. I shouted, "Burlington??? That's not a
Burlington!". At about that same time, the Burlington Textiles company had
started their television commercials and the logo they used for their
"Burlington" was practically identicle to what I saw on the SD45. Imagine
me trying to put that '2 and 2' together on that one. I was not, and never
have been, a fan of the green when Red/White was so much prettier. BN
should have stuck with that, just like BNSF should have stuck with the
Santa Fe Warbonnet. Bloomin' idiots!! They don't know a good thing when
they have it.

I can't tell you what to do with the paint, but if I were trying it, I'd
say take some Olive Green (or British Columbia Rail green) and mix a bit of
white in with it. You will just have to experiment with it until you get
that faded-olive look. You might even try a drop or two of grey, too.

-Val