re: 4 eyes better than 2

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: 4 eyes better than 2
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:26:56 -0600
Bcc:
That was classic! Reminds of the whole question of physical req's for men in teain service, actually I should say men & women because when I was with C&NW this became an issue nationally with the Feds - i.e. discrimination against women becoming brakemen & ultimately cndrs. RR's led by AT&SF successfully argued that their req that a job applicant be able to drag 'x' number of pounds 10 or 12' (the exact weight figure escapes me but approx. wt of a drawbar) was based, they said, on the need for a brakeman/person to drag a fallen drawbar out from between rails & away from tracks by his/herself. The effect was that most women did not qualify but then neither would some men if the req had been strictly enforced. As far as not being the brightest lights in a tree, I'm mindful of a fellow Safety Mgr who I worked with who broke his leg getting off a STANDING caboose (C&NW thus not a waycar) in Peoria in "80 or "81 - he soon became a Trainmaster! Scouts' honor!

As for animosity between crew mbrs, in my travels, whether talking to C&NW, Q (BN), Rock or Milw crews, the further you got from the big cities, the better everyone got along. Crews away from major terminals tended to see less of officials, were given more slack in doing things their way to get the trains over the road, etc so tended to be more team oriented. I think too if they lived in small towns they were more likely to see each other off the rails and got along better; ditto for big city crews with lots of whiskers working the very best local jobs who just wanted to get the job done with the least amount of trouble & get home @ 5 or whenever. From a strictly Q viewpoint, as I recall the infamous Mr. Pencil (or whatever his name was that spyed on crews & others and reported back to Hdq in the 50's) stayed on Lines East at major terminals. A crew @ Galesburg told me of coal being dumped on him one night & even a MiC had memories of being spied on as did some fellows in Creston. Gerald