Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q 169A

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q 169A
From: railbass@a...
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:53:55 +0000
F7A #169 was a Phase I F7 with four horizontal louver sets in the carbody side
panel. It appears that three of the four sets have been folded down and
closed for some reason, but the fourth set has been kept open. Could it be
that leaving all four sets of louvers open was creating some type of
ventilation problem, such as too much cold air for the engine? Closing these
louvers seems to be the only external modification to this otherwise stock
early F7A. The external change for later model F7s and F9s was that the four
louver sets on each side became vertical louvers in two double rows, and on
those with dynamic brakes, the circular fans increased from 36" to 48" in
diameter.
- John Manion
Denver, CO