Re: [BRHSlist] POW Camps

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] POW Camps
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:23:39 -0600
Richard
It took some research into a box of paper I have in my storage area. All of
these moves are to or from Camp Mc Coy(now Ft.)Wisconsin on either Milw or
CNW.
WMB 1646 8/23/44 12 German POW 4 Guards picked up 4 more German POW in
Milwaukee
Camp Mc Coy to Camp Butner Durham N.C.
Regular Coach with lunch at Harvey House CUS

5/8/44 1 Officer, 6 guards, 6 POW Camp Mc Coy to Ft.
Leavenworth Kansas. Regular Coach with box lunches
May have been the POW's convicted of
murder of Anti-Nazi in prison riot. It was a one way trip

5/10/44 1 Officer, 3 Guards, 9 POW Camp Mc Coy to Camp
Mc Cain Miss. Regular Coach with box lunch

Main 23254 4 Officers, 51 Guards 259 JAP POW San Francisco to Camp Mc Coy
4 coaches, 2 Tourists(Sleepers for
guards) 1 troop kitchen (May have been as built or a baggage car with added
stoves)

Main 32018 9/7/45 1 Officer, 10 Guard, 6 Mess Personal, 82 JAP POW 1
Tourest(Sleeper for guards) 1 troop kitchen, 2 coaches Add to regular train

5/17/44 1 Officer, 8 guards, 13 POW Coach Camp Mc Coy
to Camp Phillips Kansas. Regular Coach train No.6

6/1/44 4 guards, 9 POW Coach Camp Mc Coy to Ayers,
Mass. Coach on train No. 56

6/5/44 2 Guards, 4 POW (one on streatcher) Camp Mc Coy
to Galesburg, Ill via regular trains

WMB is Western Military Bureau Chicago took care of moves on western RRs.
Main Numbers came from the Office of Defence Transportation Railway
Transportation Dept. in Washington, D.C.
Not all moves were even numbered. Some moves with different numbers were
consolidated into a single move. It wasn't till after WWII that all moves
were kept track of using a Main Number.
sjh