Wabashing air hoses

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Wabashing air hoses
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:11:26 -0800 (PST)
Pete
I still recall how I was introduced to the practice.
Engine forman, Harry Allen (who I held in awe), said,
"Hey watch this kid. I'll show you how to 'Wabash' an
air hose." About four or five hours later, we were
setting in the Zeigler #3 mine scale house, with our
feet propped up in the window, when the car came
across the scales. The car dropper stepped off and
pulled the pin, just before it hit the scales. As the
knuckle opened, the hose was ripped off the anglecock,
right before our eyes! Harry looked over at me and
said, "Wonder how that happened." As luck would have
it, it was a car billed to the MOP, so it became their
problem. The coal co. had "stolen" a Q car for a MOP
load. The MOP couldn't/wouldn't supply enough MT's for
their loads.
John