Re: C&S REPAINTS

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: C&S REPAINTS
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@e...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:07:01 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "drgwcs" <drgwcs@y...> wrote:
> At what point after the aquistion of the C&S and the FW&D did the Q
> start repainting equipment with the Burlington Route herald. I know
> the narrow gauge retained the C&S lettering to the end with no
> engines getting a Q herald except the 537 which was a leased engine
> anyhow. What about the standard gauge, how long did the engines and
> cars retain their original C&S heralds and lettering (aside from
> recording marks?) This may sort of be a newy question but I
> appriciate any input.
> Thanks
> Jim C.

Newie-kablooie! there ARE no dumb questions. that's why we have this
wonderful list. welcome.

I'm sure Ken Martin or somebody who really knows this stuff inside out
can fill you in on the full history. But I think the date was around
1928, when the CB&Q began repainting its own equipment with the "new"
"Burlington Route" herald on its steam engine tenders. I've seen
photos of C&S and FW&D engines as early as 1928 with the "Burlington
Route" herald on their tenders (though not earlier). And I've seen a
few
photos from as late as 1932 with engines still lettered for C&S or
FW&D only. I
imagine their rolling stock started to be repainted around this
same time, though some features (e.g., the "Everywhere West" or "Way
of the Zephyrs" script) wasn't necessarily added to the subsidiaries'
equipment the same time as it was on the parent company's cars.

You're right about the narrow gauge, too. The Burlington was trying to
abandon all C&Sng trackage in the late '20s and wanted to avoid
anything that would connect them with those branches.

Jonathan Harris