Adventures on the Fox

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Adventures on the Fox
From: "qrailroadman <karl5631@a...>" <karl5631@a...>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:10:28 -0000
A while ago I was working the first trick hostler job at Aurora RH.
While "relaxing" in the cab of an E unit a radio conversation between
number 86 and Aurora Tower ensued. The Engineer, "Gentle" Ben
(Darling), called the Operator and informed him that 86 had "a couple
a cars on the ground at Yeagan" (Pit).

Well, anyone that ever dealt with derailments on the branch KNEW
that "a couple a cars - - " was a classic understatement of fact. A
few more radio transmissions indicated that a relief crew would be
called as well as the Aurora derrick.

As soon as daylight made a trip to Yeagan Pit worthwhile I went to
have a look. "a couple a cars - - " WAS an understatement. The
total number of derailed cars was much closer to 25. Of the 25 or so
derailed cars at least half of them would never see service again.

Of all the details related to me by the Fireman the one concerning
the head Brakeman was the most interesting. After the train went
into emergency the head man, a very new employee, asked what he
should do. John, the Fireman, told him to grab the wrench, hammer
and an air hose and start back. It was hoped, at least at this time,
that a hose had uncoupled or burst causing the emergency brake
application. After quite some time the head man returned to the
engine. When he got up into the cab it was noted that his complexion
had paled considerably since he'd left. When asked about what he had
found his reply was labored as he stammered "you wouldn't BELIEVE
what's back there".

Seems that as he was picking' his way through the dark he was using
the side of the train as a guide. Pretty soon he ran head first into
the side of a boxcar. That seemed totally out of place with
everything else. It was, in fact, totally out of place. A 50 foot
Rock Island car loaded with automobile glass had got itself crossways
to the track. The RI car was in pretty good shape but a bunch of the
cars behind it weren't in nearly as good shape.

The cause was determined to be a borken rail.

Karl