Re: [BRHSlist] Illinois Sanborn Maps

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Illinois Sanborn Maps
From: aenge89995@a...
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:08:53 EST
In a message dated 2/26/03 3:44:54 PM Central Standard Time,
eric_mumper@m... writes:

> The subject of Sanborn maps has come up again. Things seem to be
> getting better for finding these. Any resident of Illinois can go to
> a university or college that belongs to IDAL (Illinois Digital
> Academic Library) and have on-site access to any Sanborn map in the
> state. This type of system probably applies to most any other state.
> These collections are through the http://sanborn.umi.com web site.
> The IDAL site is http://www.idal.illinois.edu and can help find
> participating sites. The problem I ran into is the on-site part due
> to copyright issues. Living in Texas and wanting Sanborn maps from
> Illinois is problematic, but going to the BRHS spring meet will solve
> that. I will be spending part of my time down the road at Illinois
> Valley Community College downloading maps.
>
> Eric Mumper

The process isn't so simple as one would think. To access these maps you
need either 1.) the assistance of a library employee or 2.) a university
student or employee ID and password. If IVCC is just letting you access
Sanborn outside of items 1 or 2, they could be violating various access
quotas. At UIC, they allow only so many proxy sessions to the Sanborn site.

Alex Engelke