Re: [BRHSlist] Re: R, RI & StL RR

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: R, RI & StL RR
From: "sdwest" <sdwest@m...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:09:34 -0600
Gerald,
Thank you once again for this interesting information. I have found the
following:

P. L. Cable was Ransoms' uncle, he owned Coal Valley Mining, which ran a 12
mile railroad between
Coal Valley, IL and Rock Island. As a young man, Ransom worked for his uncle as
a brakeman and
conductor on this line, but Ransom became an investor and entrepreneur with
stong banking
connections. The Coal Valley railroad was extended through to Peoria in the
late 1860's/early
1870's and, through Ransoms' connection to the R, RI & St. L, used their
equipment to assist in this
construction. R, RI & St L trains were allowed to use the Peoria railroads'
trackage between Orion
and Rock Island for a time as well, before they had their own track to Colona.
Coal Valley Mining
was a huge operation, and drew the attention of the Rock Island Lines almost
immediately. Ransom, as
you may know, became President of the Rock Island Lines in 1883, and served on
its board until
(about) 1907(?) so it seems there was always a close association between these
two (three including
the Peoria & Rock Island RR?) railroads. The Rock Island almost certainly
controlled the Peoria
road, including Coal Valley Mining long before officially absorbing the line
into the RI System in
1903. Later, the Peoria roads' track was taken up between Rock Island and
Orion, and the trains
travelled on the Rock Island to Colona (R,RI & St L crossing) and then up the
old R, RI & St. L to
Orion, and onto their own tracks.

Near as I can tell, all successful railroads of that era either owned coal
mines or had ready access
to cheap coal. Your statement about P. L. Cables' involvement in the Orion &
Minersville mining RR
has me very curious now, didn't know about that one. Early railroad politics
(and fortune-seeking)
is extremely interesting, but at times makes discovering the truth and the
logic of events very
difficult! The Cables are fascinating examples of this, and operated right in
my own backyard.

Very interesting topic for me, and it really does have a "Q" content!

Wade