Re: [BRHSlist] E Unit Stainless Steel Panels?

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] E Unit Stainless Steel Panels?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:04:44 -0600
Yes. The areas above the sill "rivet strip" on the bottom of the side,
under the grilles at the top of the side, behind the cab door, and forward
of the rear "rivet strip" were (on some units) stainless steel clad. The
side panels on E and F units (not counting exotics like E5s) were plywood
panels sheathed with steel (or, in the case of the Q and ATSF, probably
others stainless steel). The battens (the "rivets" were actually screw
heads) were painted metal (I think.... anybody know for sure if this was
universal?)
The information on which units had the Stainless Steel panels factory
applied, and which had them retrofitted, and which never had them, is
kicking around in a Zephyr, Bulletin, or somewheres....
Charlie