Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1577

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1577
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:50:44 -0600
Russ,

The figure I quoted was some years ago, so I am sure you are correct. Another figure that I have heard quoted was that, at one time, BN had at least one train/auto collision per day somewhere on the system. Unfortunately, no matter what the circumstances are, the RR usually loses in court if it goes to trial. Juries always favor the "little" guy. I understand that most cases are settled out of court for that very reason. Maybe some of our lawyer members can comment on that. Years ago, I did hear a story of a lady in Downers Grove who ran into the side of a Pacific on a commuter train, damaging the rods and valve gear. The RR offered to settle out of court, but she thought she would do better in a trial. When the facts were presented, she lost and wound up paying not only for her own vehicle's damage, but also the damage to the RR property. Once in a while, the RR wins!

Bill Barber