Re: [BRHSlist] TCZ stops @ LaCrosse

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] TCZ stops @ LaCrosse
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:30:51 -0600
The depot at LaCrosse was designed by Holabird & Roche. H&R had a long
standing relationship with the Q.... it colaborated with Paul Cret and Budd
on the 9900 Zephyr, did the Chicago Passenger Office, the "Fishbowl"
Coaches, and other commissions. I worked for H&R in the late 60's and found
some good stuff in the files....
The Burlington station was a similar design to LaCrosse, although I wouldn't
classify them as "Prairie School" which was much earlier and related to
Frank Lloyd Wright..... modern International Style with lannon stone and
concrete cantilevered roofs.....underreinforced, as it turns out and a
headache for the railroad...probably had more to do with the demolition than
worrying about Amtrak.
Charlie