Re: TCZ @ LaX

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: TCZ @ LaX
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:55:18 -0600
Bcc:
When I used the term "prairie school" it's the term used right to current day where rooflines are flat, natural material used to harmonize with the environment, open interior space, natural lighting, etc. - all hallmarks of Frank Lloyd Wright but copied, or at least an influence, on many, many architects, esp. in the 30's/40's. ANd agreed, certainly international in scope. The depot was fieldstone with large windows & a noted absence of columns/walls inside. H&R is indeed a big name in architecture/engineering. I have a card stock piece from them with sample of all the materials used in the LaX depot inc. material for seating. As for the trackage: the original pass. main began (S end) just shy of MP 295 (1&1/4 miles S of Graf). The passenger bypass (former frt main) eliminated 29 grade crossings for Zephyrs that otherwise had to wind their way down to the old downtown Pearl St. depot & then out to No. LaX. My 1940 date meant the rebuilding of what heretofore was strictly a frt line; ie. new rail, super-elevation, ballast, better drainage, etc. And of course the general area is where the LaCrosse & SE crossed the Q - founded by Cargill family of Cargill Grain fame - the family fortune began in LaX before moving to Twin Cities. The old mansion (w/2 story coach house/servant's qtrs) was deeded to the Presbyterian church & used as S.S., lounge & office space. The old parlor, with real gilt ceiling, crystal door knobs & marble fireplace was used for weddings inc. my parents. The L&SE, which paralleled the Q for awhile running S before it cut over to Coon Valley, was abandoned in "34 - the LaCrosse modeler's/fan group (name escapes me) put out a model of one of their 36' boxcars (MDC body) some yrs ago for those who model the Q back when & want appropriate interchange cars from the "Coon Valley Route". Nominally a Milw affiliate as terminated with them, there is evidence they also had 2nd hand equipment from the Q. The old passenger main hosted an ex-Q SW-1 for industrial switching (Heilemans, etc) into the 70's for BN. Even C&S insulated boxes normally seen in Golden @ Coors would show up! Speaking of beer, the only time I saw a prototype of the colorful Athearn Hamm's 50' car was on a Q frt heading from Chi to Twin Cities in late 60's. Got a snapshot with my Instamatic! Gerald

PS - mention of the auto frame traffic to Peoria & whether it went W on the Q. Have no idea but do know (& have pic somewhere) of such traffic in gons coming off the GB&W @ E. Winona for Q forwarding to Twin Cities and then to ? The WISE NMRA group had model of a custom KGB&W or GB&W gon (Athearn car) with frames for sale yrs ago (late 70's?) - could also get the frames separate.