Re: [BRHSlist] Alclad 2 Paint and Vacuum Plating

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Alclad 2 Paint and Vacuum Plating
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@a...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:38:03 -0700
"Thanks" to all who have given me input on the Alclad Stainless Steel
paint. To me- Stainless Steel doesn't look like Chrome. Stainless Steel has
a black'ish hue to it and I suppose that is why Alclad says to paint
(primer) the model with a gloss Black enamel before applying the 2 coats of
Stainless Steel. Years ago Tyco had some Chrome Plated 'F' units (Santa Fe)
and they looked like shiney car bumpers. I would think that vacuum plating
would create the same 'bumper shine' look to a model. If any of you have
seen the Genesis/Highliner Santa Fe F-7 and WP F-3 units- their simulated
Stainless Steel panels look just like Stainless Steel and has that black hue
to it. I am no expert on this and these are just my thoughts on the
matter....so far. I did experiment once by airbrushing a very diluted light
coat of Engine Black over an Athearn coach that I had painted Silver and it
looked more like a Stainless Steel car than when it was just bright Silver!

John Olson
Montana- 'The last BEST place'