Re: [BRHSlist] Microscale

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Microscale
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:03:46 -0600
In my old age I work part time at DesPlaines Hobbies. In my youth I worked
at All Nation Hobby Shop in Chicago, My sense of the "Decal Business" is
that it has never been better. I asked Ron, owner of DesPlaines about this
subject last week (it was a thread on the Steam Era Freight Car List) and he
had the same opinion (he also worked at All Nation, but at different times
than I did).
It is true that we are getting more accurate models with correct
lettering.... but the level of knowlege and interest in
freight car (and locomotive) paint schemes, phases, etc, etc. has
dramatically increased in the last 10-15 years in particular.
Nowadays, instead of decals being sold mostly to achieve some variety from
the standard Athearn and MDC offerings, we see people researching and
modeling very specific paint schemes from photographs of individual cars or
units at a particular point in time.
The Decal business is more complicated than it was in the 50's and 60's.....
generic data sets, for example, are no longer acceptable. In fact, Road
Name sets are not useable anymore because we now know that the heralds, road
name lettering, etc., vary from car type to car type (or batch to batch).
Plus, from a company's standpoint, the range of products has tripled from
the 50's where you had maybe three decades of coverage... now you have to
cover from the 30's to today, 2003..... a span of 70 years.....and the
number of railroads, additional paint jobs, mergers, new car and locomotive
types, has skyrocketed. Inventory management may be a challange for
retailer, wholesaler and manufacturer, but the need for decals is probably
greater today than in the past.

Charlie