Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1567

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1567
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:23:24 -0600
In reply to several comments about the Maple Ave. derailment, I believe it was a single train derailment involving either a broken wheel or a broken rail. Maple Ave. is on the east end of D.G. while belmont Ave. and the Belmont station are on the far west end.

As for the shifted plate hitting another train, I vaguely recall such an incident, but it was not the 1947 wreck that damaged the Main Street station. That was caused by a tractor that fell off a flat car of a freight train just west of Forest Ave. It fell onto the center main shortly before the eastbound Twin Cities Zephyr arrived. When the E5 hit the tractor, it turned over on its side, slid down the tracks and came to rest just east of the depot opposite the Tivoli theater and hotel. The articulated train of the Godesses stayed upright, but derailed and careened into the west end of the depot heavily damaging the west end open portico, the waiting room and wiping out the ticket office where the agent had just closed up about 5 minutes before. All three main tracks were blocked. Wreckers came from both east and west to clean up the wreckage. All the east bound passenger train were held at Aurora and finally set east late that evening as one 40 some odd car train behind an O-5. The station "house" track, which started west of Forest Ave. and went around the back or south side of the depot and re-entered the south main just west of Washington Street, was used by the combined passenger train to get around the wreck. That track was not built or maintained, for an O-5 and the passage, I have been told, was very slow and cautious! By the next morning, the north main was open for some traffic. The depot was rebuilt and, to this day, if you look at the roof line, you will note that some portions of the block work along the top of the walls is much more modern than the rest as a result of the accident. The train also was rebuilt and returned to service as the new Nebraska Zephyr. The train, of course, survives and is at the Ill. Railroad Museum, however, the E-5 that is with it, is not the one involved in the wreck. A couple of pictures of the wreck are printed in the BB on the trains of the Gods and Godesses. I have additional pictures taken the day after by my dad if anyone is interested.

About 1964, another wreck occurred just west of the depot between Forest Ave. and Main Street when an EB ore train derailed. However, it was no where near as spectacular as the Zephyr wreck of '47.

Leo, I think, is correct about the timing and circumstances involved in the Belmont station wreck.

Bill Barber