Re: [BRHSlist] What does 'nee' mean?

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] What does 'nee' mean?
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@i...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 08:49:04 +1300
The word "nee" is the past participle of the French verb "naitre" (with a
circumflex accent ^ over the "a" to indicate contraction or special length)
which means "to be born", and is derived from Latin.
It should have an acute accent (´) over the second "e" (which originally
indicated a high or rising sound on the vowel)
The words "native" and "nativity" have a similar root.
I trust that this clarifies the situation

Rupert
(I never had the privilege of seeing the Q live because I was "nee" in the
wrong country)