SD-45 trucks

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: SD-45 trucks
From: "Jerry Krueger <jakrueg@n...>" <jakrueg@n...>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:03:27 -0000
There's been recent talk about both Kato and Proto2000 issuing SD-45
models on HO. It's got me thinking about doing a Q unit in premerger
green and black. After going there some books and some online
research, all the pictures show the SD-45s with 3 brake cylinders on
there trucks. Pictures of ther roads sd-45s show the typical 2 brake
cylinder trucks. See pictures in Mike Spoor's Vol 2, page 33 and
page 114.

I believe the Q was one of the first roads to purchase the Sd-45s
from EMD, did EMD originally use trucks from SD-9s or SD-24s and then
switch to a 2 brake cylinder design? Where these trucks from traded
in units? From a modeling standpoint, could I use the
trucks/sideframes from a SD-9 or SD-24, are the axle spacings the
same. All the reference material I have (drawings in mags) show the
2 brake cylinder design.

Any help is appreciated.

Jerry Krueger