Spelling of Employe(e)s

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Spelling of Employe(e)s
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:30:57 -0600
Leo wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:46:31 EST
> From: qutlx1@a...
> Subject: Discipline
>
> In 1909 Second Vice President of the Q Daniel Willard issues a notice
> dated
> May 1 that states "effective this date the practice of suspending from
> the
> service employes(yes thats the correct spelling for time)in the train
> and
> engine department ,because of the infraction of the rules,or for other
> causes,will be discontinued".

The spelling of employees as "employes" was used by General Motors
officially until about 10 years ago. We were all taught to spell it
that way in company documents. Maybe other companies did it also. For
many years, the Chicago Tribune had their own form of contracted or
simpilfied spelling that they regularly promoted as an alternative to
standard accepted english spellings. I believe that Col. McCormmick was
a big proponent. Words like "light" became "lite" in the paper.

Bill Barber